Not Anymore

I ran away once, but not this time. I’ve learned a lot since then, and now I think I’m ready for this. I ready my sword as I face the demon in front of me.

“So you’re finally back.” The demon smirked, “ready for round two?”

It was being cocky. “Just because I ran away, doesn’t mean that I won’t beat you.”

“Of course it doesn’t,” it said as the grin grew wider, “but that does prove that you’re a coward.”

My grip on the sword tightened. He’s right, I was afraid on facing him, but now I think I’m ready. “It’s true, but I’m ready now. You’re going down today!”

The demon cackles. “Oh really, now? Don’t you remember what happened last time?”

I glared at it. I do remember, and it wiped the floor with me before I was able to get away. “This time will be different!”

“Oh? You think so?” The demon taunted. “Doesn’t seem like you’ve changed much.”

“It may not look like much,” I readied my stance, “I was always able to beat you, but I was just too afraid to face you.”

“Is that what you think now?” The demon also got ready. “Let’s see about that!” It shouted as it launched forward, leading with its right arm and its claws out.

I blocked his attack with my sword, but then his other hand came at me. I used the sword to push against him and I leapt back to dodge the attack. As quickly as I landed it came at me again. Instead of blocking it, I deflected it instead, so I could sword again when I have to.

It was still too quick for me, and I couldn’t react in time. All I could do was lessen the blow by nearly jumping away. It was able to leave a large scratch on my cheek. I touched my cheek and I found that there was blood. Then I could start feeling the blood ooze out of the wound.

Maybe I was too confident. Maybe I bit off more than I can chew. Maybe this was still too difficult for me. I was stunned with fear and doubt as I watched the demon slowly making its way to me, smirking. It knew I was becoming afraid. I hesitantly readied my sword again, pointing it towards the demon. I looked at my hands and saw that they were shaking. When the demon was close enough, I took a step back not being able to do anything else.

“Once a coward, always a coward,” the demon sneered. Its long arms took hold of my head, squeezing it in the process, lifting me up off of the ground. My feet dangled off the floor as my hands hung on my side, and my sword dropped to my side because I needed both hands to hold it up. Was this the end for me?…

It can’t be. I know I ran away at first, but I finally realized what was wrong, and so I chose to come back to face the demon. If I died here then everything I’ve done would have been for nothing. I’m no longer running away. I now know what I need to do. I refuse to be a coward!

Despite the pain I was in, I grabbed his arm with both my hands and used all my strength to force him to let go. I was able to land on my feet, so I quickly grabbed my sword. The demon was surprised, and it stumbled backwards. I used this opportunity to strike, piercing it through its chest.

The demon felt the impact and looked at me with that same smirk. “Job well done,” it had said before its body started to dissipate into the air. I heave a sigh and drop to the floor, glad now that’s over with. A new demon would spawn in some time, but I’ll be ready. I won’t be a coward anymore.



Comments

Most Popular