A Night Out

The both of them sat on the side of the hill, staring at the living city in their sights.


“I never knew that there was a place like this,” one of them said.


“Well maybe because you can’t drive,” the other joked, earning a softhearted punch. “I found it when I just wanted to get away.”


“I envy you… I wish I could do that whenever I want…”


“This could be our place to be… Y’know, when we just want to get away from everything.”


“… How can I get here when I don’t even have a car?”


“But you do have me…”


“…”


“Call me when you just want to get out, and if you don’t have any particular place to go we can just hang out here.”


“Why are you being so nice to me all of a sudden.”


“You can find your own way home, right?”


“It was fun while that lasted.”


There was a laugh. “You said I was being nice, so I guessed you didn’t like it.”


“…”


“You don’t have anything more to say?”


“… It’s embarrassing…”


“Just tell me. I promise I won’t laugh.”


“I do like it when you’re nice, but I didn’t know that you can be like this…”


“… Because… I’m always so rough with my friends?”


“Yeah… because of that.”


“Turns out you’re one of the few who’s seen this side of me. Do you think that’s bad?”


“No, I don’t think so… Unless you have some ulterior motive.”


“… An ulterior motive…”


“…”


“What? I don’t have anything like that…”


“Sure… then why did you bring me up here?”


“I saw you walking alone on the street and thought that you might like some company. You’re always with your friends even after school, so when I saw you alone, I thought that something was up, so what’s up?”


“It’s nothing really…”


“I’m listening.”


“You’ll laugh when you hear it…”


“Didn’t I promise you I won’t laugh?”


“My parents called me to tell me that my pet fish died, and they were wondering what I was going to do about it.”


“…”


“Go ahead and laugh, I told you it was nothing at all.”


“But it’s not nothing to you. That’s what matters.”


“…”


“Tell me about that fish. I’m getting more curious when I think about it.”


“Okay... So it's a goldfish and I got it when I was younger, and it’s been with me ever since. This is embarrassing!”


“Not to me it isn’t.” Another playful punch. “Tell me more about it. I want to know.”


“… Okay… Over the years it had grown to be the size of my hand, so I had to get a bigger tank for it just last week because I thought that the tank for it now wasn’t spacious enough for it… Why do you even want to know? It’s not that interesting.”


“To me it is. Everything about you is interesting.”


“… Is that some sort of confession?”


“…”


“It is! Isn’t it.”


“… Think of whatever you want it to be…”


“Can I confess something to you?”


“Hmm?”


“Thanks for bringing me here. I feel a lot less depressed talking to you.”


“… No problem… I’m just glad that I could help.”


“…”


“…”


“Hey—”
“Hey—”


“You go first.”


“No, you go… I was just about to say something stupid. It was nothing at all.”


“… Okay…” A deep breathe. “Do you want to like get a bite to eat after this?… My treat.”


“…”


“… It doesn’t have to be when I take you home… It can be some other time…”


“…”


“… Or we can just act like this never—”


“I would love to… I mean, yeah, sure. I’m actually pretty hungry.”


“Really?!”


“Yeah, since it is your treat after all.”


“That’s right…”


“You know what’s funny?”


“What is?”


“I was about to ask you if you wanted to get coffee after.”


“That doesn’t sound stupid at all.”


“At the moment it did… but now… I don’t think so anymore…”


“Then what I said must’ve sounded totally dumb.”


“Actually I was kind of hoping you would ask because I lost my chance to.”


“To be fair, I did tell you to say it first.”


“Oh please, you probably wanted me to say it instead of you.”


“Ow. Right on target with you.”


The both of them were smiling at each other now.


“If you act like this then I wonder how we weren’t friends in the first place.”


“We’re two different people from two different worlds and the only common thing that brought us together was a class we shared.”


“You thought about it haven’t you?”


“… Is that wrong?”


“Not really, because I mean, I’ve thought about it too… You seemed different from your friends…”


“What do you mean? You see me, I’m always roughhousing with them.”


“Yeah, I know It's just that… I just can’t put my tongue on it… You were just the one I’ve noticed from the pack of gorillas you call friends.”


A chuckle. “Do I also count as a gorilla?”


“Technically you do, but you seemed to be far from a gorilla.”


“So what am I if I'm not a gorilla?”


“A human, the most normal one out of all of the brutes.”


“That hurts when you call my friends brutes.”


“... Sorry... But they're always so rough with my me and my friends."


"Yeah, okay... I'll give you that..."


"Then what do you call my friends?”


“I don’t call your friends anything… their not exactly always on my radar… Only when your with them.”


“So what would you call my friends?”


“… I don’t know actually… Meerkats?”


Laughter. “Meerkats? What made you think about that?”


“I don’t know… You and your friends look after one another like how meerkats do.”


“I guess we do, since you mentioned it. I just never thought of it like that.”


“Well, I’m jealous of that.”


"Don't you think gorillas look after one another as well? Probably not like meerkats, but I'm pretty sure they have each other's back."


"... I guess you're right..."


“ But if you want to hang out with us. We won’t mind. Well, most of us won’t.”


“That’s like saying for a gorilla to live with meerkats.”


“If you put it that way…”


“I’ll gladly hang out with you.”


"..."


"What?"


"... Nothing... You just answered quickly that's all."


A chuckle. "But we're going to have to be careful if we do."


“Why do we?”


“You know why... Like you said, we're from two completely worlds, so if people saw us together, then they'll start to make up things... You remember that girl.”


“What girl?”


“There was this girl that had to move because everybody kept making fun of her because of a rumor.”


“Oh, her... I wondered why she suddenly disappeared... I never knew why she moved… All I knew was that she was being bullied.”


“And that’s why I want us be careful hanging out at school. People get very imaginative...”


“I guess you’re right…”


“…”


“…”


“Do you wanna grab that bite now? It is getting pretty late.”


“It’s eight on a Friday night... It's not that late, and besides I can stay out as long as I want.”


"... That was a lie, wasn’t it?”


“What my parents don’t know won’t hurt them. All I need to tell them is that I’m hanging out with a friend.”


“Nice, so we could do this more often?”


“Now, I don’t know about that… Getting out every week would definitely put pressure on me. What about your folks?”


“Me? They don’t mind. As long I come back home every night then their okay with it.”


“I see… I'm kind of jealous of that... To be able to have that much freedom...”


"... Well your parents are just worried about your well being."


"I know that, but I just want them to put a little more trust in me..."


"You said something about pressure?"


"Oh... Well... If i'm going out every week then my parents expect me to get good grades, and with what little free time I have, I probably can't always go out."


"So we'll make the most of it then." Sitting up and patting the dust away. “You ready to go?”


The other person followed suit. “Yeah, okay. And thanks again for tonight, especially for treating."


The both of them smiled and got into the car before leaving the vista point.

Comments

Most Popular