Sweet Dreams

“How long have you liked me?” He asked me. We were finally alone because his roommate had stepped out for a little while. I shifted where I stood. I knew this conversation was going to come sooner or later, but I wasn’t expecting it to be now.

I was nervous. “I… uh… why do you ask?” I failed to deflect.

“Because…” he looks at me with such intense eyes, “I feel the same way.”

My eyes go wide, and I become speechless. It takes a moment for me to register what he had just said. He likes me back? “For how long?” I said not knowing it was loud enough for him to hear.

He pursed his lips to think before coming up with an answer. “Ever since March, I think.” And now was August, so it’s been five months since he realized. “What about you?”

I was a bit embarrassed with my answer, but I had to be honest. I turned to face him, but looking at him just made me more embarrassed. I turned to look towards my side. “For about two years now…” It was his turn to be speechless. “Yeah… I’ve been dealing with it for a while now.”

We were silent for a moment before he spoke again. “Why didn’t you say anything?”

“Well, because, for one, I’ve learned my lesson from past mistakes.” I told him with a sad smile.  “I promised myself that I wouldn’t be the one to bring this up to you. And that I had to make sure I stop myself before I spill the beans.”

“But you weren’t being very subtle about liking me,” he pointed out.

I grinned. “That was the point, it was so you know without having me to actually tell you.” I know it was cowardly to do that, but I had myself to think about. “And well if you had something to say about it then you would.”

There was a sad sigh from him. “So this whole time, you liked me. Even when I was hung up on other people?”

“Yup,” I simply replied, gaining an odd look from him.

“Not being shy anymore, are you?” he lightly teased.

“Nope.” Another simple response. “It’s out in the open now, so there’s no point.” With a little explanation.

He grinned at me. “So for the past two years, you were in love with me.”

I wouldn’t say love… but… “Yeah…” I nodded. That was pretty much it… I was in love with him.

He got closer to me. “And so am I with you.” He said softly before placing a hand onto mines.

I felt my face flush as I stared at his handsome face, but there was a nagging feeling at the back of my head. “This has to be a dream…” I whispered out loud again, before turning away.

He got in front of my face and looked at me straight in the eyes. “It’s not a dream, I promise. I’m also in love with you. It started in March but now I know that I truly have feelings for you.”

And I believe him. This wasn’t a dream. It was real, and that sudden realization hit me. I stare blankly stare at him for a few seconds before tackling him for a hug. His sturdy body held up, and he was surprised by the sudden contact, but He soon relaxed and wrapped his own arms around me, embracing me, giving me something I’ve always wanted.

“Told you it’s not a dream.” We stood like that for a few minutes before he pulled himself away. “Can I do something to you?” He was hesitant on asking me, and I simply nodded. “Can I kiss you?”

My face flushed, and it was getting hard to talk, so I just nodded again. He braced himself and brought his face lower towards mine as I tilted my head up to meet his. Our face got close and our lips met. And never have I felt happy. The kiss was chaste and sweet. And I loved it.

The moment was broken by the lock on the door being opened. We immediately separated, trying to look as nonchalant as possible while his roommate came through the door. She eyed us both suspiciously as she carried her bags of grocery into the kitchen. I looked at him and we just smiled at each other, knowing how we feel for each other.

“Let’s go help her out,” I said to him still widely grinning, “I don’t think she’ll suspect it.”

He just chuckles. “Oh, I’m pretty sure she already knows.” I sigh, but I end up smiling, anyways.

“Will you two lovebirds come help me already?” She yelled from the kitchen. “And for your information, the walls are thin here and I definitely heard it!”

He begins laughing, and I start to become embarrassed. He pulled me into a hug before going off into the kitchen to help and I followed suit. We helped his roommate prepare for the party, and as more and more guests were arriving, he and I were becoming further and further apart. It was no secret that I was gay, but him… that’s an entirely different story. So we had to keep our distances for now, and as for the roommate, she’s doesn’t mind. Every so often we would catch looks from each other and smile, but that was all we could do for the time being. Sometimes I would hang out with him for a little bit, but I can never get too close, but that was fine because I was finally happy for once.

~^~

The sunlight flittered through the blinds, and they were able to snipe me right on my face. I scrunch up my face to block out the penetrating light before groaning. What happened last night? I thought back to what had happened, and I remembered him. Then it hit me, he confessed to me. I suddenly became overjoy at the fact that he returned my feelings, but something felt off… something in me told me to look at the calendar, and so I did……

I checked the date, and I found out that the party’s tonight. That meant that what happened ‘yesterday’ didn’t happen at all… That meant that what had happened was a dream. I balled my fist and pounded on the bed. I was angry because it never happened… I’m usually pretty good at telling if it’s a dream, but this time I believed that it wasn’t. The dream toyed with my feelings, and I’m upset because of it. I just know this day won’t be like the dream. So much for ‘Sweet Dreams’ it seemed more like a nightmare…

Comments

Most Popular